Business

Boxing: Joshua-Pulev heavyweight title fight postponed owing to coronavirus

(REUTERS) – The world heavyweight title fight between Briton Anthony Joshua and the IBF's manda..

(REUTERS) – The world heavyweight title fight between Briton Anthony Joshua and the IBF's mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev of Bulgaria originally scheduled for June 20 has been postponed, promoters Matchroom Boxing said on Friday (April 3).

Joshua's defence of his IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO titles was set to take place at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium but the coronavirus outbreak has brought global sport to a standstill, with no competition taking place in the United Kingdom.

"A new date for the event… is currently being worked on," Matchroom Boxing said in a statement.

"We will announce any updates in due course and continue to explore the possibility of hosting this fight at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium."

Pulev, 38, said last month the fight would take place "towards the end of the year" due to the outbreak and that he would have no problem fighting without spectators in attendance.

It marks the second time their bout has not gone ahead as planned. Joshua was initially due to fight Pulev at Cardiff's PrincipaliRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

straitstimes

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

You may also like